Whilst the main reason for this rifle's presence on our site is due to the employment in British service of one of the last model types, it is still perhaps worth giving a brief run-down of the Winchester single-shot musket's history.
The Winchester single-shot musket was, in its time, produced in three main types, the first two of which were of High Wall and the latter of mainly Low Wall configuration.
In his article entitled "They called it a Musket"
published in the American Riflemanof November 1956,
James Serven included a photograph of four types, with a brief description of each.
This is replicated below.
The first, straight-stocked, model in the photograph is noted as "The original model of the Winchester single-shot musket brought out in 1905. Its characteristics are high-wall receiver with solid frame, straight forestock held by two bands, military rear sight, caliber .22 Long Rifle."
The next rifle is captioned "Second model has high-wall receiver with solid frame, improved forestock held by one band, and was available in .22 Long Rifle and .22 Short."
The third rifle down is entitled "This variation of the second model has a take-down barrel and a locking ring forward of the receiver."
The bottom rifle is described as the "Third and final model, discontinued in 1920. Low-wall receiver, Lyman receiver sight. Made principally in .22 Short, but available in .22 Long Rifle if required."
It will be seen that an earlier version of the first model, also produced in 1905, was fitted with a tangent-leaf rear-sight further forward on the barrel. The rifle in Serven's photograph is one of those on which the rear-sight was subsequently mounted right back against the receiver; a modification intended to improve sighting and accuracy, partly by the increase of the sight radius.
This link will take you to the Patent Application
Below is a facsimile of the conemporary catalogue and parts list.
This is in the form of a text-searchable flip-page document that may take a few moments to load.
Double tap for full page display.
This single-shot rifle, manufactured in both sporting and Schützen, (half-stocked), configuration was, in the U.S.A., offered in a plethora of calibres, and remains in wide use by enthusiasts to this very day.
The first .22 rimfire rifle using this action was the Model 1885 and the latter, the Model 1887. These rifles were used for target and training purposes well into the early Twentieth Century. Between 1918 and 1919, a little under 11,500 rifles were purchased by the United States Ordnance and many were issued to American N.R.A. affiliated rifle clubs. superseded by the 1922 Model bolt-action training rifle, the Winder muskets were sold off. By mid-Century these sturdy stalwarts were becoming almost cast-off, as more modern and efficient designs came into being Post WWII. Around that time the Winchester 52 rifle was first made available, in 1919 at the National Matches at Caldwell, New Jersey, just one year before the demise of the single-shot "Winder" .22 rifle.
The Model 52 was intended to as closely match as possible the weight, size and handling of the Springfield 1903 service rifle of the day. As did the Model 1885 and 1887 rifles, the Model 52 went through a number of configurations over the years, and was still serving until well after the second World War.
Even the barrel internals of the Winchester Model 52 target rifle were a development of the 1885 design .
The next two images can be rotated and zoomed,
either as initially loaded or full-screen for higher definition.
Slide cursor < > to rotate, and Click to zoom.
This image rotates on the bore axis.
The serial number of the above featured rifle indicates that it was one of 4,699 manufactured during 1905 within the serial range 96001--100700.
Originally a Browning design, the action's patent and rights to manufacture were bought by Winchester in 1883. Browning's 1879 Patent for the falling-block action is shown below.
Below is a view of a disassembled first pattern of the 1885 Winchester Musket.
Hover to zoom
The above rifle is of high-wall configuration, and the side of the receiver is relieved,
resulting in it being also widely known as the "thin-wall".
A later model with a flat-sided receiver is thus known as the "thick-wall".
The next rifle shown on this page is in the collection of the Imperial War Museum, London,
and the images were taken by courtesy of the Museum Trustees.
Below: The Winchester "Winder" Musket military style training/target rifle in .22
The rifle was so named after its development had been actively promoted by Col. C.B. Winder of Ohio, an officer who recommended the use of a near service-rifle "Winder" was never officially recognised by Winchester, but became a household name nonetheless. The term is only attributable to the .22RF calibre rifle, and specifically only those of military configuration.
The next two images can be rotated and zoomed,
either as initially loaded or full-screen for higher definition.
Slide cursor < > to rotate, and Click to zoom.
The serial number of the above featured rifle "115760" indicates that it was one of the last manufactured between 1919-20.
The falling-block action is not a million miles away from the design patented more than twenty years earlier
by Chritian Sharps of the then "Sharps Rifle Company".
Above: The rear-sight
The above example is in .22 Long calibre and is a "High-Wall" and "Thin Wall" version, as already mentioned, referring to the height of the side walls of the action receiver either side of the falling block and the hammer, and the reduction in width of the whole action from about a quarter-inch behind the front of the action. On the "Low-Wall" rifle, the action sides are
The advertisement below for the Winchester Musket, still with no official mention of "Winder", was published in the year that the U.S.A. entered the First World War in Europe - 1917. This was a critical period in the history of U.S./British relations, and "all hands to the pumps" was the call on both sides of the Atlantic, and on both sides of the U.S. Canadian border. Teaching recruits to shoot straight was an important part of the training mantra of the day, and the "Winder" musket played a not insignificant part in such work . Encouraging young men, both as cadets and civilians, was high on the list of the needs of all involved allied nations, and rifle clubs were also at the forefront of these efforts.
With the advent of the 21st. Century the "Winder" Musket has become a much sought-after collector's piece, and many of these 1880s designed rifles are still to be found in use on the ranges by enthusiasts shooting in historic competition, just for the sheer pleasure of it.
The Winchester lever-action single-shot rifle was manufactured from 1885 until 1920, and at one time or another during this period was available in six styles of frame and in seven different barrel weights. It was chambered for a great many rimmed cartridges, ranging in calibre from the .22 short rim-fire through and including the .50 Eley centre-fire. There was limited production in rimless calibres, including 7 mm. Mauser, 7.65 mm. Mauser, and .30-'06. This falling-block action was also used for a 20-gauge shotgun first made in 1914, and the shotgun was offered in both solid- frame and take-down styles.
The actions of Winchester single-shot rifles were case-hardened in colors until August 1901, but those manufactured in following years were heat-treated and given a blued finish. Color case-hardening was obtainable on special order following the institution of an improved heat-treatment method. The Winchester firm would at one time re-heat-treat the older case-hardened actions, but this service was subsequently longer offered by that company.
Plain triggers were standard on most versions of this rifle, but set triggers could be furnished on special order. The single-shot rifle in a takedown version was first offered in 1910. The development of this system necessitated a change in the design of the mainspring. The flat mainspring of the solid-frame rifle was attached to a base on the barrel, but in the takedown type the mainspring of music wire was fitted around the hammer assembly. This latter action is commonly called the coiled- spring type, and it eventually became standard for both take-down and solid-frame rifles.
The final version of the Winchester single-shot rifle was the Model 87 musket introduced in 1918 in cal. .22 rimfire. Large numbers of this model were purchased by the U. S. Government for troop training purposes during World War I and were later issued to shooting clubs through the Director of Civilian Marksmanship. This rifle was the first of the series to be given a model number. Until that time this basic rifle was merely listed as the Winchester Single Shot, without the customary model number applied to other Winchester rifles and shotguns.
The design of the Winchester single-shot rifle was based upon a patent granted to John M. Browning in 1879. The Browning firm produced nearly 600 of these rifles in its Ogden, Utah, shop, but sold the manufacturing and sales rights to the Winchester firm in 1883. Winchester engineers made only minor design changes in tooling up for its manufacture.
Drop the under-lever (32) and check the chamber to be sure rifle is not loaded. Unscrew fore-arm screw (7) and remove wood fore-arm to expose mainspring (5). Unscrew main spring screw (6) and remove mainspring. Loosen under-lever pin stop screw (34) and drift out under-lever pin (33) with a suitable punch. Pull breechblock (23) with firing-pin (24) and hammer (27) attached out bottom of receiver by under-lever (32). Extractor (25) will drop out bottom of receiver after removing breech-block. Above parts may all be parted by drifting out their respective pins.
To disassemble trigger mechanism, unscrew the upper and lower tang screws (22 &13) and remove butt-stock to rear. Unscrew side tang screws (14) from left and right sides of receiver and remove tang (15). Remove knock-off spring screw (16) from underside of tang and remove knock- off spring (17). Trigger (20) and knock- off (18) can be removed by drifting out their respective retaining pins (21 & 19). Unscrew sear spring screw (9) from top of receiver tang and drop out sear spring (10). Drift out sear pin (12) and remove sear (11) from receiver.
Reassemble in reverse (see Fig. 1) .
1. Front sight
3. Rear sight
4. Mainspring base
6. Mainspring screw
7. Forearm screw
9. Sear spring screw
10. Sear spring 11. Sear
12. Sear pin
13. Lower tang screw
14. Side tang screws (2)
16. Knock-off spring screw
17. Knock-off spring
19. Knock-off pin
21. Trigger pin
22. Upper tang screw
26. Firing pin stop pin
28. Hammer pin
30. Link pin, long
31. Link pin, short
32. Finger lever
33. Finger lever pin
34. Finger lever pin stop screw
36. Butt-plate screws (2)
NB: Butt-stock and forearm not shown.
The next image can be rotated and zoomed,
either as initially loaded or full-screen for higher definition.
Whilst of .22 calibre, the rifle was chambered for the rimfire Winchester Auto cartridge rather than the .22 Long or Long Rifle cartridge more regularly seen in the U.K. at that time.
As mentioned, the 1903 was the first semi-automatic "miniature calibre" rifle manufactured by Winchester and, since the British .22 rimfire ammunition was still then loaded with fouling and corrosive black powder, the smokeless-powder loaded Winchester round was deemed more suitable for a semi-automatic.
Above: a comparison of the .22 Winchester Rimfire calibre rimfire cartridge (left)
with the .22 Long Rifle cartridge (centre),and the Winchester Auto (right).
The Winchester cartridge cases are approximately 20 "thou" greater in diameter
than the .225" of the Long Rifle cartridge and have a tapered crimp at the neck of the case.
The latter cartridge's images were by courtesy of the now late A.O. (Tony) Edwards.
Here shown at approximately 150% of actual size (at a standard 1024x768 resolution).
The rifle in the above image, and that in the disassembly below are one and the same. It has "R.A.F" stamped on the left hand side of the receiver body, and the military acceptance mark at the top right rear corner.
The latter mark is shewn more clearly on another rifle held by the Imperial War Museum, and pictured next down this page. At some point post WW1 it has been re-sleeved by A.G. Parker with their Parkerifling system, and the muzzle crown is marked "PARKERIFLED AGP".
It has also been fitted with an early, possibly 1920s, model of a German Ajack 2.5 x 70 telescopic sight, with only the elevation wheel on top. Windage is acheived by lateral adjustment of the Parker-Hale ADM-4 mounts, the rear one of which has a windage dovetail slide with a screw threaded adjuster.
Below: the disassembled main parts of the rifle; hover to zoom.
Below: "business" side of the Imperial War Museum's 1903 model
Shown below is the top of the action marked as U.S. property,
with the "Flaming Bomb" (or, more correctly, shell) of the U.S. Ordnace Department,
and presumably therefore not one of the paid-for contract rifles that were brought in
by the British main agent, the London Armoury Company.
The top LHS of the action body also carries the well-known British acceptance mark
of the "Broad Arrow", above the inspector's mark.
This rifle was introduced into British service in two small batches - each of 300 units - in 1916 and 1917 respectively - specifically for assistance in training Royal Flying Corps and, latterly, Royal Air Force aircrew in gunnery; (the Air Force Bill received Royal Assent in November 1917, the Air Ministry was formed on 2nd. January 1918, and the Royal Air Force officially came into being on 1st. of April of that year). It has, however, been reported elsewhere that only 500 of the 600 contract came to Europe as late as 1918.
Full-bore Winchester under-lever rifles were known to have been used by Royal Flying Corps pilots and observers during the early stages of the First World War (1914 -1918) in addition to their side-arms. The side-arms most commonly in use were .455 calibre revolvers and, later, when the British Government bought in small batches specifically for R.F.C. aircrew use, .455 calibre Colt 1911 Automatic pistols. Such small-arms were really more used in the air to dissuade enemy reconnaissance aircraft from loitering over one's own lines than with specific intent to shoot down enemy aircraft. The infliction of damage or wounding in this way was not completely unknown, but comparatively rare. Pistols were carried rather as personal protection in the event of a forced landing on the "wrong side of the lines" than as weapons of attack. Winchester records show that, early in the War, a batch of 120 Model 1907 rifles were supplied to the Royal Flying Corps, along with 78,000 rounds of their .351 calibre ammunition. Such a rifle is held in the National Firearms Collection at the Leeds Royal Armouries, and was passed there from the original Enfield Pattern Room.
This rifle is their exhibit no. P6089, and the photographs are by courtesy of the Royal Armouries.
The configuration of the two models is basically the same, the major difference being that the 1903 feeds from a tubular magazine within the butt, while the 1907 has a box magazine feeding into the base of the action. The relative sizes of the Winchester .22 rimfire round and the .351 centre-fire full-bore round obviously account for this.
The military acceptance marks are just about visible between the ejection port and the rear of the receiver body in the above image.
It was not long before a number of these rifles were modified at Woolwich to improve their suitability for aerial use. A larger button was fitted to the front of the cocking plunger rod in the fore-end, and the trigger was shortened, each to facilitate the use of the rifle with gloved hands.
Additionally, an extended 15-round magazine was made to reduce the necessity for magazine changes, and a threaded hole was made below the ejector port to allow fitment of a canvas pouch to collect the fired cartridges cases that might otherwise have found their way into the aircrafts controls mechanism.
As mentioned, the similarity in design of the 1907 and 1903 models is notable, and may well have had a bearing on the selection of the latter rifle for training purposes.
For many years, aircrew have been encouraged to shoot small-arms of all kinds to "sharpen" their reflexes and practice gunnery. Clay pigeon shooting with shotguns has been a particularly popular and useful 'training' discipline - of great assistance in teaching the "leading" of fast moving targets.
Indeed, at about the same time that these .22 rifles were brought to the U.K. by the British Government, a batch of 12 bore shotguns was also procured from Winchester via the U.S. Government.
The rifle "taken-down".
Below: Winchester's 1905 re-processed sectional drawings of the action, both open and closed,
wih the hammer block shown in tilted back and upright forward positions.
In his fairly recently published book "British Secondary Small Arms 1914-1919 - Part II, R.F.C. and R.N.A.S." the late Tony ( A.O.) Edwards stated that over half-a-million rounds of .22 Winchester Auto rimfire ammunition were bought in with the first batch of 1903 rifles, with a further contract for 300,000 rounds per month. This would indicate that, by the time all 600 rifles were in service, each one was firing an average of 1000 rounds every month.
The illustrated example of this wartime purchase was, until recently, the only one then known to the Imperial War Museum, which left 599 to be accounted for! The screw-threaded muzzle on the IWM rifle, for the fitment of a sound moderator, would suggest that it moved into private hands as a sporting rifle after the Great War; this could very likely have been the fate of many of the worthy 600.
A reader has advised us of another rifle presently in South Africa, and we are grateful for the images shown here.
This example caries the same Broad Arrow and inspector's mark as those on the rifle in the I.W.M., but has, in addition, the initials "R.A.F." stamped into the left-hand-side of the receiver.
The barrel markings have the basic standard model number, manufacturer's details and U.S. trade mark reference, but further marks for calibre and proof have been added, with a zig-zag bordered "NOT ENGLISH MAKE" in addition.
Below is shown the right-hand-side of the above R.A.F. marked rifle.
That many of the rifles were not returned to the U.S., after the War, (those stamped 'US Property' would have been part of a wartime lend-lease arrangement), is evidenced by the fact that, in the early 1920s, A.G. Parker of Birmingham were advertising them for sale. They marketed them alongside their other imports, the Winchesters '90 and 1906, Savage Model 1914, and Remington No.12A U.M.C. pump/slide-action repeating rifles, as well as the ubiquitous Browning semi-automatic .22 rifle. The pump action repeaters sold, at that time, for between five and six pounds, whilst the Browning semi-auto was marketed at just under three pounds, putting the Winchester 1903 semi-autos at a significant premium.
Since A.G. Parker & Co. were then still offering 'large quantities' of .22 Winchester Auto ammunition, evidently far from all of the contracted ammunition was consumed before before the end of the First World War.
In 1925, A.G.Parker advertised the previously mentioned take-down Model 1903, for which their catalogue entry is shown below.
Interestingly, by 1941, the Winchester Repeating Arms Company's own catalogue advertised a "Model 63".
This rifle appears to be outwardly almost identical to the 1903 model in most respects, other than the modification of the butt-stock to a pistol-grip design with reduced curvature of the butt-plate and a slightly higher comb, no doubt commensurate wih the fashion and thinking of the day. The rifle was available in the .22 calibre, but intended for the Long Rifle Super-Speed and Super-X cartridges by then in use in North America .
We have been passed the following additional information by a reader and researcher Alan David, now in Australia, who has Royal Air Force documentation of the:
"Establishment of Gunnery and Armament Stores and Equipment" - D9362.
"With regard to the Winchester Model 1903 being used in British Service, this is recorded in the Aircraft Armament Handbook CB1161 dated 1917.
There are a few different versions of this, but in the training aid section there is a nice drawing of an '03 Winchester conjoined to a Lewis gun.
I would imagine that this was the main use for the rifle certainly in the latter part of the War."
This document gives details of that unusual use of the Winchester .22 Semi-Auto rifle "in the field" as a sub-calibre training attachment for the Lewis machine gun, which was one of the most common aircraft armament fitments. By dint of brass straps and wood packing blocks - as illustrated below - the Winchester was attached to the Lewis gun and a trigger linking bar fixed across both weapons. The whole was then to be fitted into a surplus aircraft nacelle mounted on a platform approximately 7 feet x 10 feet, with a handrail, raised onto a tapered wooden tower nearly twenty-three feet high and all constructed out of 4" x 4" and 4" x 2" pine bolted together. Butts were to be constructed with earth and railway sleepers at a range of 90 feet. A moving target system had to be made up using rope and pulleys.
Alan, to whom we pass a note of thanks, additionally advises us that:
" There are the two known orders to the London Armoury Company, the UK Winchester agents, for 300 rifles each, totaling 600 rifles. However I have seen a memorandum at the PRO [Public Records Office - Kew; Ed] making reference to previous small orders to the LAC including one for 37 rifles. In addition, in the book Winchester Repeating Arms Company by Herbert G. Houze, there is a reference, on page 191, to 550 '03 Winchesters being ordered by Great Britain in 1918, which is well after the two LAC orders which were placed, the first in 1916 and the second in 1917. So it would appear that over 1,000 rifles were purchased in total. Interestingly a number of these rifles have shown up in New Zealand, many with RAF stamped on the receiver, I have one in my collection, complete with a vestige of red paint on the safety button. Some of these rifles have Enfield inspection marks, others do not.
The second source of reference is a hitherto unknown document which I came across at the RAF Museum Library at Hendon – “Gunnery Memoranda”, July – December 1916. This mentions the Winchester .22 rifle, noting that they have plenty on hand for training. Also mentioned are .351 Winchester S/L’s along with .401 Winchesters S/L’s, ( which is, thus far, the only known official reference to these Model 1910 .401 self loaders being used, although this has always been suspected). The reference to them is for training and I suspect the quantity involved was small, probably less than the 120 1907 .351 Winchesters. These .401’s may have been borrowed from France, which nation had a reasonable quantity of them; on the other hand they could have been ordered from the LAC, or a mixture of both!
Interestingly the Gunnery Memoranda goes on to mention the Farquhar Hill rifle also being used as part of the training syllabus. There is no mention of Winchester 1911 shotguns which were definitely purchased, instead Browning S/L shotguns are mentioned, again in the training role. These probably would have been purchased from Le Personne, the UK agents for Browning, as Belgium was over run at the beginning of the Great War."
Winchester's manual for the rifle, published between 1905 and the First World War,
carried a parts diagram and listing, with the then current prices.
We replicate these below from our original copy,
which can be view complete HERE.
WINCHESTER SMALL-BORE RIFLES IN WWII
Other Winchester small-bore rifles were supplied to Britain in the Second World War under the American "Lend Lease" programme, in which arms and other military equipment were provided by the U.S.A. and Canada on what was effectively a 'Sale or Return' basis. Arms and matériel not retained post-war were to be returned, and those kept or lost were to be paid for over a period of time. It is understood that loan repayment, in whatever 'quid pro quo' form finally agreed, was completed at the end of 2006, more than sixty years after the arrangement was commenced.
Of particular note, amongst those .22 RF rifles imported, were Winchester Model 74 semi-automatics and Model 69 bolt action rifles. It has been suggested that, amongst a variety of other American manufactured telescopic sights as sold with these rifles by Parker-Hale pre-war, a number of these rifles were fitted with the No.42 Mk.1 straight-sighting telescope, which 'scope was more usually utilised for artillery work, and the rifles moderated with a silencer manufactured, provided and fitted, in a batch of 660, by Parker-Hale in March 1942 at a cost of nineteen shillings and sixpence each; (see "British Small Arms of WWII" - I.Skennerton - pgs 20 to 22). The same reference book indicates that sufficient rifles were possibly not available until acquired via Parker-Hale in mid August of that year, all previous Winchester imports being only in batches of a few tens of numbers. Thus, rifles so configured seem unlikely to have seen the light of day until later in 1942.
In fact, the No.42 Mk.1 telescope is reported to have been first introduced for use with the 75mm gun on the Mk.VII Churchill "Gun Tank".
If so, then the any rifles of this configuration were probably not in use until nearer the mid-war period.
Many of the American rifles that came at the time of the invasion threat were supplied with American telescopes.
This point is discussed shortly.
Above is an artistic representation of a Winchester 74 similarly configured
The Parker-Hale Moderator could also be fitted to pistols, such as the Colt .22RF "Woodsman".
Between the beginning of April 1940 and the end of January 1943 the Government bought in a total in the region of 12,500 .22 rifles .
These were purchased in around eighty contracts for a multiplicity of rifle types. These contracts were awarded to many commercial British companies in addition to those for rifles bought-in directly from the U.S.A. and Canada. Many North American-made rifles were also procured from the pre-war stocks of British retailers, including Winchester models 62, 67, 68, 69, 72 & 75, Remington, Savage, Stevens Models 53, 56, and 66; and the numbers even included "Armory" models, Cooey and the less common Iver Johnson Model X..
Additionally, fifteen Martini rifles were supplied by Parker-Hale, but a significant 921 were purchased from W.W. Greener at £4 each.
Alex Martin supplied 251 unspecified Winchester rifles, as well as 50 Iver Johnson Model XX shotguns - of which 40 were also purchased from R.J. Adgey, the latter firm also providing over thirty various models of .22 Stevens rifles. 500 various Cooey rifles (models 39, 55 and 75) were bought-in from "La Personne", but these did not include the Cooey Model 42-B rifles that were purchased specifically under a Lend-Lease contract
The 660 rifles of unconfirmed, perhaps mixed, models were supposedly intended for use by specially trained Home Guard underground units, in the event of an invasion of the U.K. by the German forces; their work was expected to be akin to that undertaken by any disruptive guerrilla force, harrying the enemy and assassinating senior officers or important administrators should the opportunity arise. (see also the Lee-Enfield Rifle No.4T). Veterans of this secretive organisation confirm the use of these rifles in various configurations, and mention the the more likely anticipated usages to include the elimination of guard dogs and sentries, as well as the necessary and practical task of supplying fresh meat to members concealed in their secret "OB" hideouts (Operational Bases).
The official designation for such components of this force were the "Auxiliary Units" of the British Resistance Organisation. This Organisation was the brain-child of Brigadier Colin Gubbins M.C. (Maj. Gen. at close of hostilities) who was one of the formative number in the Special Operations Executive (SOE) in 1940, and later became its Executive Officer (CD).
A Junior Officer of the Dorsetshire Regiment latterly described the purpose of these Auxiliary Units as follows:
" The gist of it was that each county along the coast of the U.K. would have its private army of approximately 500 men who would live in underground hideouts , which would be stored with food, ammunition etc., - wait for the invasion to pass over them, then emerge from their Operational Bases causing havoc to the enemy's lines of communication". *
For some years we had thought ourselves fortunate to have been able to illustrate what we were led to believe was the appropriate page from a manual for the S.O.E. (Special Operations Executive) showing a modified Winchester 74 with covering notes; even copying the barely legible but interesting text alongside the image.
However, we have been advised that the page may have been taken from a book on special forces' weapons which replicated the original OSS/SOE manual, but that, for an inexplicable reason, this page may have been a fabricated look-alike addition. We await confirmation of the verity of the page. If mocked up, this was presumably to illustrate a rifle of the type used by the Auxiliary Units, which were supposedly mainly issued with the Model 69 Winchester rifle, box-magazine-fed, bolt-actioned, and also fitted with a telescopic sight and Parker-Hale moderator; but such configured rifles are today little in evidence.
We have presently left the page and text in place to accompany this explanation, particularly because the text is partly representative of the original.
The Model 74 rifles were certainly bought-in by the British Government, probably as training rifles, and some may well have found their way into the inventories of Auxiliary Units, but not, we understand, for specific issue as " Stay Behinders' " sniper rifles. We would be grateful to hear from any reader who may be able to relate more of their use.
"DESCRIPTION: The Sniper's Rifle is a specially configured .22 calibre Winchester, Model 74 Rifle. The weapon is fitted with a silencer and powerful telescopic sight.
PURPOSE: The Sniper's Rifle is intended to provide special forces personnel with a weapon capable of inflicting a lethal wound at a range of up to 100 yards.
Length without silencer ........ 44"
Length with silencer ........ 52"
Ammunition ....................... .22LR
Magazine capacity ........ 14 rounds
The sketches are of a "Sniper shown in a concealed firing position" and of " The target as seen through the telescopic sight"
"A Weapon that eliminates muzzle flash and muzzle noise offers several advantages to special forces personnel.
(1) The source
of the fire is masked.
(2) The location of the weapon is difficult for the enemy to pinpoint.
(3) The enemy can not identify the numbers or type(s) of weapons firing, or their range.
(4) The weapon has less recoil and is more accurate to fire.
(5) The enemy is harassed and confused.
(6) The sniper has a psychological advantage over the enemy."
Later in the War, once the threat of invasion had receded, many of those trained for the Auxiliary Units volunteered for transfer to the Special Air Service and Special Boat Service (SAS and SBS), subsequently rendering " Stirling" service to the Nation in not dissimilar clandestine duties to those for which they had originally prepared.
Below is the advertisement for the Winchester 74 rifle taken from the company's catalogue of 1941.
A more mundane wartime Winchester import was the Model 67, a single-shot bolt-action rifle intended for use as a training rifle.
We such a rifle in our archive, of 1939 manufacture, fitted with a Winchester 'scope, and also carrying a Parker-Hale Model PH16 swing-out rear-sight and tunnel fore-sight. The butt-stock is stamped on the right-hand-side with a large broad arrow, and the barrel bears a small Enfield stamp on the left-hand-side of the barrel's breech section. However, the barrel has not been threaded for a moderator. We intend to add imagery of this rifle before long.
As already mentioned, should you know more of the service of any of these .22LR rifles with the British military or Home Guard during WWII, or even perhaps own an example, then we would be delighted to hear from you.
Below is the advertisement for the Winchester 67 rifle taken from the same catalogue of 1941
This Winchester single-shot, bolt-action Model 67 rifle was one of those purchased by the British Government early in WW2.
It bears the "Broad Arrow" on the right-hand-side of the butt-stock, and an Enfield inspection mark on the left side of the barrel ahead of the breech area. The rifle is fitted with a Winchester telescopic sight.
Drag horizontally to rotate subject. Click to zoom and drag to pan.
Full screen viewing from expansion arrows.
Winchester Model 69
According to an article written by Vincent L. Rausch and published in the American Society of Arms Collectors Bulletin, only 769 factory scoped Model 69 rifles were manufactured. We hope to discover whether a number of these the rifles were some of those sent to Britain during the Second World War? Others were certainly fitted with telescopes after their arrival here, as well as the Parker-Hale fitment of moderators.
We can illustrate a rifle particularly representative of such weapons, fitted with a 5x magnification Winchester scope with their standard adjustable mounts, of which the rear is of the type spring-loaded against the adjustment screws. The scope has been mounted in the U.K. on Parker-Hale barrel blocks, and the barrel has a screw-cut muzzle for fitment of the early Parker-Hale Model MM1 moderator as used on the Home Guard Auxiliary rifles.
The bolt-action Model 69 is fed by a 5-round magazine.
Drag horizontally to rotate subject. Click to zoom and drag to pan.
Full screen viewing from expansion arrows.
Below: an Auxiliary unit photographed on their disbandment at the end of the War,
with members at the rear holding their Sten machine carbines,
and the sergeant (left front) and corporal (right front) respectively
holding the .22RF Winchester with its telescopic sight,
and the ubiquitous Home Guard Pattern 1917 Enfield in 30.06 calibre.
The rifle with its Winchester telescope.
In the U.S.A. the Model 69 was made available in the late 1930s
as a rifle factory-fitted with a telescopic sight
of just 2.75X maginfication; no iron sights being included.
Although still roll stamped 'Model 69' on the barrel,
this was designated the Model 697,
which version is rarely reported in the U.K.
The parts drawings and listings for the slightly later but little changed Model 69A
Still marketed in the late 1960s, one of the last appearances of the M69 was in a Winchester catalogue.
* "Stirlings' Men" - by Gavin Mortimer - Cassell 2004
For queries relating to the website or rifles shown, email: Miniature-Calibre-Rifles@rifleman.org.uk
Please direct any queries relating to the Leagues to: HARC-MRL@rifleman.org.uk
Click here to access a Chronology of Enfield genre Training Rifles, Adapters & Cartridges
Return to: TOP of PAGE
See this website's Raison d'être